Naples, NY, a picturesque village in the Finger Lakes region, is a treasure trove for outdoor enthusiasts. With its stunning landscapes, diverse wildlife, and adventurous trails, it’s a destination that calls to the explorer in all of us. In this guide, we’ll uncover six outdoor things to do in Naples NY, each promising an unforgettable adventure.
1. Hike the High Tor Wildlife Management Area
Among the many outdoor things to do in Naples, NY, the High Tor Wildlife Management Area stands as a beacon for nature lovers and adventurers. This expansive area, covering over 6,000 acres, offers a rich tapestry of experiences that beckon explorers of all kinds.
Trails and Hiking
High Tor’s trails are a hiker’s paradise, each providing unique challenges and rewards:
- West Hill Preserve Trail: A moderate 2.5-mile loop that offers panoramic vistas of Canandaigua Lake and lush valleys. Benches along the way allow for rest and reflection.
- High Tor Blue Trail: For the more adventurous, this 4.7-mile trail takes you through dense woodlands, steep inclines, and rocky terrains, offering a true wilderness experience.
Wildlife and Bird-Watching
High Tor is a sanctuary for diverse wildlife. Deer, foxes, wild turkeys, and various bird species, including the majestic bald eagle, can be spotted throughout the area. Spring and fall migrations provide a spectacle for bird-watchers.
Fishing and Hunting
Anglers will find well-stocked streams teeming with brown trout, while hunters can pursue waterfowl in designated hunting areas. Both activities are regulated to ensure sustainable practices.
Picnicking and Camping
High Tor’s scenic beauty makes it an ideal spot for picnicking. Designated areas with tables and grills are available. Primitive camping sites offer a chance to experience the area’s nocturnal beauty.
High Tor’s appeal extends beyond hiking:
- Spring: Witness the bloom of wildflowers and the awakening of wildlife.
- Summer: Enjoy warm weather hikes and cooling off in nearby streams.
- Fall: Experience the breathtaking fall foliage that transforms the landscape.
- Winter: Explore the area on snowshoes or cross-country skis.
Accessibility and Guidelines
High Tor’s trails are well-marked, and maps are available at trailheads. Proper hiking footwear, water, insect repellent, and adherence to posted regulations are essential for a safe and enjoyable experience.
2. Kayak on Canandaigua Lake
Canandaigua Lake, known as “The Chosen Spot,” is one of the most picturesque and inviting outdoor things to do in Naples, NY. Kayaking on this pristine lake offers a unique way to explore its natural beauty and tranquility.
Rentals and Guided Tours
Canandaigua Sailboarding provides kayak rentals and guided tours for all skill levels. Whether you’re a seasoned paddler or a beginner, their experienced guides will ensure a safe and enjoyable experience.
Paddle Routes and Exploration
- Northern Shores: Paddle along the northern shores to explore the historic Canandaigua City Pier and enjoy views of grand lakeside homes.
- Squaw Island: Visit the small and unique Squaw Island, one of only two islands in the Finger Lakes, known for its rare and endangered plants.
- Southern Wilderness: Explore the less developed southern end of the lake, where you can enjoy the serenity of untouched nature.
Wildlife and Scenery
Canandaigua Lake is home to various bird species, including ospreys, herons, and kingfishers. Paddling quietly along the shoreline may also provide glimpses of deer, foxes, and other wildlife. The clear waters and lush surroundings create a peaceful and scenic backdrop for your adventure.
For a truly magical experience, consider a sunset paddle. The lake’s calm waters reflect the vibrant colors of the setting sun, creating a breathtaking spectacle.
- Spring: Enjoy the fresh air and blooming lakeside flora.
- Summer: Cool off with a refreshing paddle and perhaps a swim in designated areas.
- Fall: Experience the stunning fall foliage reflecting on the lake’s surface.
Safety and Regulations
Safety is paramount when kayaking. Canandaigua Sailboarding provides all necessary equipment, including life jackets. Adhering to safety guidelines and respecting boating regulations ensures a pleasant experience for all.
3. Mountain Bike at Ontario County Park
For mountain biking enthusiasts, Ontario County Park at Gannett Hill is a thrilling destination among the outdoor things to do in Naples, NY. With its challenging trails and breathtaking views, it’s a haven for adventure seekers.
Trails and Terrain
Ontario County Park offers a variety of trails suitable for different skill levels:
- Beginner Trails: Gentle slopes and well-maintained paths provide a perfect introduction to mountain biking.
- Intermediate Trails: For those seeking more challenge, these trails offer technical features, tight turns, and moderate inclines.
- Advanced Trails: Experienced riders can test their skills on steep descents, rock gardens, and challenging obstacles.
Located at an elevation of 2,256 feet, the park offers panoramic views of the surrounding valleys and lakes. The “Jump Off” lookout point is a must-visit spot for a breathtaking vista.
Bike Rentals and Services
Local bike shops, such as RV&E Bike and Skate, offer rentals, equipment, and guided tours. Their knowledgeable staff can assist with trail recommendations and safety tips.
Events and Competitions
Ontario County Park hosts various mountain biking events and competitions throughout the year. These events provide opportunities to connect with fellow riders and challenge yourself in a competitive setting.
Picnicking and Other Activities
The park also offers picnic areas, playgrounds, and hiking trails, making it a versatile destination for families and groups. After a thrilling ride, enjoy a relaxing meal amidst nature.
Safety and Guidelines
Mountain biking requires proper equipment and adherence to safety guidelines. Helmets are mandatory, and protective gear is highly recommended. Following trail signs and respecting other trail users ensures a safe and enjoyable experience for all.
- Spring and Summer: Enjoy the lush greenery and pleasant weather.
- Fall: Ride through the colorful fall foliage for a visually stunning experience.
- Winter: For the adventurous, fat biking on snow-covered trails offers a unique challenge.
4. Explore Grimes Glen Park’s Waterfalls
Grimes Glen Park, located in the heart of Naples, NY, is a hidden gem that offers a magical exploration of nature’s artistry. With its stunning waterfalls and inviting trails, it’s a must-visit among the outdoor things to do in Naples, NY.
Grimes Glen Park features a 1-mile trail that follows Grimes Creek. The trail is accessible and suitable for all ages, offering a gentle hike that leads to two breathtaking waterfalls.
Waterfalls and Natural Pools
- First Waterfall: A 60-foot cascade that plunges into a crystal-clear pool. During the summer, it’s a popular spot for wading and swimming.
- Second Waterfall: A short hike further leads to another spectacular 90-foot waterfall. The adventurous can climb the natural stone staircase beside the falls for an up-close experience.
Geology and Flora
The glen showcases unique geological formations, including Devonian shale and limestone. The moist environment supports a rich variety of ferns, mosses, and wildflowers, adding to the scenic beauty.
The waterfalls, creek, and surrounding forest provide endless opportunities for photography. Capture the play of light on the water, the intricate patterns of the rocks, or the delicate beauty of the flora.
Grimes Glen Park offers picnic tables near the trailhead. Enjoy a meal amidst the soothing sounds of the creek and the rustling leaves.
Safety and Guidelines
The trail can be slippery, especially near the waterfalls. Proper footwear and caution are essential. Adhering to posted guidelines ensures the preservation of this natural wonder and a safe experience for all visitors.
- Spring: Experience the waterfalls at their most powerful after the winter thaw.
- Summer: Enjoy a refreshing dip in the natural pools.
- Fall: The glen is adorned with vibrant fall foliage, creating a picturesque setting.
- Winter: Witness the frozen beauty of the waterfalls, a sight to behold.
5. Experience Winter Sports at Bristol Mountain
Bristol Mountain is the premier winter sports destination in the Naples, NY area. With its impressive vertical rise, well-groomed trails, and state-of-the-art facilities, it’s a must-visit for winter enthusiasts. Here’s a closer look at what makes Bristol Mountain a highlight among the things to do in Naples, NY, during the winter season.
Skiing and Snowboarding
Bristol Mountain offers 38 diverse trails catering to all skill levels:
- Beginner Slopes: Gentle slopes with wide-open spaces provide a comfortable learning environment.
- Intermediate Trails: More challenging terrains offer a mix of twists and turns.
- Advanced Runs: Steep and narrow trails provide thrilling descents for experienced skiers and snowboarders.
For family-friendly fun, the snow tubing park offers a delightful way to slide down the mountain. With dedicated lanes and lifts, it’s an activity that all ages can enjoy.
Cross-Country Skiing and Snowshoeing
Explore the serene beauty of winter on the Bristol Mountain Nordic Center‘s cross-country skiing and snowshoeing trails. The well-marked trails wind through scenic forests and meadows.
Experience the magic of skiing under the stars with Bristol Mountain’s night skiing options. Well-lit trails provide a unique and enchanting experience.
Ski and Snowboard School
Whether you’re new to winter sports or looking to improve your skills, the Bristol Mountain Snowsports School offers lessons and programs for all ages and abilities.
No gear? No problem! Bristol Mountain provides rental equipment, including skis, snowboards, boots, and helmets, ensuring a hassle-free experience.
Dining and Lodging
From cozy cafés to upscale dining, Bristol Mountain offers a variety of dining options to refuel after a day on the slopes. Nearby lodging provides convenient accommodations for extended stays.
Events and Competitions
Bristol Mountain hosts various winter sports events, competitions, and festivals throughout the season. These events add to the vibrant community atmosphere and provide opportunities to connect with fellow enthusiasts.
Bristol Mountain is committed to accessibility, offering adaptive skiing and snowboarding programs for individuals with disabilities.
Naples, NY, is more than just a scenic destination; it’s an adventurer’s playground. From hiking and kayaking to mountain biking and hunting, the outdoor things to do in Naples, NY, offer a diverse and exciting exploration for those with a passion for adventure.
Whether you’re a seasoned explorer or just starting your outdoor journey, Naples invites you to uncover its hidden gems and embark on a one-of-a-kind adventure. The spirit of exploration is alive and well in Naples, and these outdoor activities are a testament to the region’s natural beauty and adventurous soul.