TrailsROC is an organization that has become synonymous with trail running and hiking in the Rochester, NY area. With a mission to advocate, educate, and celebrate trail running, TrailsROC offers a comprehensive platform for both seasoned trail runners and those new to the sport. In this blog post, we’ll delve into the various aspects of TrailsROC, from their organized races to their community involvement, and how you can get involved.
Who is TrailsROC?
TrailsROC was founded by a group of trail enthusiasts who wanted to create a community around trail running. They offer resources, organize events, and provide support to trail runners of all levels. Their website is a treasure trove of information, including trail maps, race details, and educational materials.
One of the standout features of TrailsROC is their commitment to organizing and supporting trail races.
Here’s a look at some of their popular events:
- Last Runner Standing:
- Description: A Last Runner Standing event on a 1ish mile loop. The loop is all trail. Runners will start each loop in “mass start” style. The time limit for the loops will get shorter after each completion. Runners must complete each loop in the allowed time or they will be eliminated.
- Birthday Run:
- Description: A free fun run! It’s a morning of celebration of the trail system, friendship, the past year, and the year to come.
- MFAMTL 6 Hour:
- Description: A 6-hour timed loop course on the trails at Durand Eastman Park. 3 hours in one direction, 3 hours in the other. The loop is a bit over 1 mile long, all starting and ending on horseshoe road.
- Many On The Genny:
- Description: A 45-mile trail ultra using both sides of the famous gorge in Letchworth State Park. With 90% of the course off roads, you will traverse single track, fields, foot bridges, and bridle paths. You will experience beautiful vistas, quad-busting climbs, and a grass-roots, community-friendly event.
- Webster Trail Classic:
- Description: The Webster Trail Classic will take place in three neighboring parks in Webster, NY. Each park has a different style of trail building, so each offers a unique running experience. It is an excellent trail system that the organizers have been lucky to get permission to use.
- Many Lite:
- Description: A #TrailsRoc and Rochester Running Company Collaboration. Welcome to the most scenic race on the East Coast as the event takes you on 20 miles of waterfalls, overlooks, and peak fall foliage.
- MFAMTL 8 Hour:
- Description: An 8-hour timed loop course on the trails at Oatka Creek Park. 4 hours on 1 loop – 4 hours on another loop. Each loop is a bit over 1 mile long, all starting and ending at the lodge.
- 0 Degree WTF! (Winter Trail Fest):
- Description: A Winter Trail Festival at Powder Mills Park – With the options of running 5, 10, or 15 miles this year – The course will be a single 5-mile loop you can run 1, 2, or 3 times, taking you on beautiful single track in Powder Mills Park. Each loop will start and finish at Wadhams Lodge, which will be the “home base” for the weekend.
Trail Maps and Guides
TrailsROC offers an extensive collection of trail maps and guides on their website. Whether you’re looking for a leisurely hike or a challenging run, you’ll find detailed information, including distance, elevation, and difficulty level. Their interactive map is particularly useful for planning your next adventure.
Education and Safety
TrailsROC is dedicated to educating the community about trail safety and responsible usage. They offer workshops, tutorials, and online resources to ensure that everyone can enjoy the trails safely and responsibly.
Beyond races and maps, TrailsROC is deeply involved in the local community. They organize trail clean-up events, work with local authorities to maintain and improve trails, and partner with other organizations to promote outdoor activities.
How to Get Involved
If you’re in the Rochester area and have a passion for trail running or hiking, TrailsROC offers several ways to get involved:
- Join a Group Run: They host regular group runs that are open to all levels.
- Volunteer: Help with trail maintenance, race organization, or community outreach.
- Participate in a Race: Whether running or cheering, being part of a TrailsROC race is a thrilling experience.
- Follow Them on Social Media: Stay updated on events, news, and connect with other trail enthusiasts.
TrailsROC is more than just an organization; it’s a community of trail lovers who are passionate about sharing the joy of trail running and hiking. With a wide array of races, extensive trail guides, educational resources, and community involvement, TrailsROC is a vital part of the outdoor scene in Rochester, NY.
Whether you’re a seasoned trail runner or just looking to explore the beautiful trails of the area, TrailsROC offers something for everyone. So lace up your trail shoes, grab a map, and hit the trails with TrailsROC!